Bonnie Vorenberg (B.A., M.S. Theatre) has been called “The Guru of Senior Theatre” for her groundbreaking work as a nationally recognized expert and pioneer in the field.
An educator, director, speaker, and author, she founded and directed an arts academy for seniors and a professional touring company that received prestigious grants from the National Endowment for the Arts plus state and local sources. Currently, she is the President of ArtAge’s Senior Theatre Resource Center, the central information source for plays, books, and information.
Bonnie’s leadership is credited with developing many ‘firsts’ in Senior Theatre, a few include:
• Anthology of New Plays
• Talent Agency for seniors
• Database of companies, professionals, and organizations
• E-newsletter connecting 3400 worldwide Senior Theatre lovers
• Created literature of the field with a 400-piece catalog of plays, books, and materials
• Website attracting 5000+ visitors each month
• And more.
Ms. Vorenberg’s work has been featured in TIME Magazine, American Theatre Magazine, Chicago Tribune, LosAngeles Times, on CNN.com, NBC, and many other media outlets. Her extensive writing includes many documents, articles, and the award-winning Senior Theatre Connections: The First Directory of Senior Theatre Performing Groups, Professionals, and Resources. She edited the first anthology of Senior Theatre scripts, New Plays for Mature Actors, and wrote the handbook, Enriching an Older Person's Life Through Senior Theatre. Ms. Vorenberg is the author of Simple and Useful Activities in Adult Care Homes, used by the State of Oregon.
Bonnie is a founding member of and served on the Council for Senior Theatre USA and she is the Past Chair and current Conference Planner for the Senior Theatre Focus Group for the Association of Theatre in Higher Education.
As a speaker, Bonnie's enthusiastic and passionate sessions have brought acclaim from audiences around the nation. Her practical and creative ideas have inspired attendees at meetings of the:
• American Association of Community Theatre
• National Council on Aging
• Association for Theatre in Higher Education
• National Park and Recreation Association
• Washington Activity Directors Association, and many others.
With a mission to provide information, education, and inspiration, Bonnie’s goal is to help older adults find fulfillment in the arts!