PDI Dance for PD (REGISTRATION IS CLOSED)
Dance for PD® offers dance classes for people with Parkinson’s disease in Brooklyn, New York and, through a network of partners and associates, in more than 100 other communities in 12 countries around the world. In Dance for PD® classes, participants are empowered to explore movement and music in ways that are refreshing, enjoyable, stimulating and creative.
An on-going non-profit collaboration between the Mark Morris Dance Group and the Brooklyn Parkinson Group, the Dance for PD® program also provides teacher training and nurtures relationships among other organizations so that classes based on the Dance for PD model are widely available.
Over the past eight years, Dance for PD® workshops and seminars have informed and engaged more than 700 teachers and other practitioners from more than 15 countries around the world. This one-day immersion workshop, led by one of the program’s founding teachers, will provide a comprehensive exploration of the Dance for PD® program’s best practices and approaches. Open to dancers, artists, therapists and students, social workers, allied health professionals—anyone with an interest in creative approaches to dance for people with movement challenges—this workshop is organized around specially-created modules and interactive sessions to provide a wealth of experiential and practical information to attendees. The workshop will include an opportunity to participate in an actual Dance for Parkinson's class with members of the local DC Parkinson's community.
- Learning outcome 1: Develop an understanding of the context in which Dance for PD classes take place.
- Learning outcome 2: Develop an understanding of the objectives, principles and values of Dance for PD classes
- Learning outcome 3: Learn how to explain confidently and clearly the benefits of dance for people with Parkinson’s
- Learning outcome 4: Have a basic understanding of Parkinson’s and the effects it has on participants’ function.
- Learning outcome 5: Learn ways to manage and structure a movement class to minimize risk to the participants
- Learning Outcome 7: Develop an understanding of inclusive teaching and learning processes
- Learning Outcome 8. Develop creative approaches to teaching and learning in dance
- David Leventhal, Program Director, Dance for PD®
Registration for this event has closed if you are interested in recieving information about upcoming Dance for PD trainings please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.